What Is It??

Cake time again! Yay! hehe This time, my table isn't a complete and utter mess. Nice and neat :) This is for a birthday party, a 21st in fact, for my coworker's niece :) 

I won't tell you what it is until the end... hopefully, you'll guess what it is before then. 


Above has the red velvet cake already nice and mixed - added extra red coloring to try to make it even darker. Not sure if it worked...


I put it in a loaf pan to get a nice fluffy rectangle :) I also made a small 6'' circle cake and two cupcakes - one cupcake just for Evelynn because she wanted some cake... cream cheese frosting because, duh, it's red velvet cake. 


Made the fondant that morning and gave it a bit of brown and a bit of black - the black certainly overpowered the brown... Covered the rectangle cake and stretched and folded over parts of the fondant to get those center three.. umm.. flaps I guess. Started punching out circles to start adding the texture. 


So. Many. Circles. 
I was starting to get hungry at this point. Break for a sandwich!


Thank goodness the body is done. Added the end by cutting a triangular shape from the small circle cake. Added fondant ears and a pink fondant nose :) It's larger than I intended, but that was to help it stay on the plate.. overestimated the size of the cake and underestimated the size of the plate... 


More but smaller circles for the face... eyes is fondant that I painted black (all edible don't worry! :P)


Laid out the "sand" - a mixture of crushed cinnamon graham crackers, brown sugar, and melted butter that I heated in the oven along side the cakes. I sprinkled a bit of white sugar to lighten up the color. Then I layered the rest of the body parts on top. The tail is even more fondant and I added feet! White fondant for the nails. 


Side view! I wanted the tail nice and long :) Not sure how the bum is supposed to look on this animal.... 


This is the finished product. I was getting too sleepy and didn't care enough to take pictures of the process. Frosting the cupcake and sprayed with blue to make a personal cake for him :) Twizzlers cut meticulously to make grass. The "21" is made from orange fondant. He had a little party hat on his head, which is made of, yes, more fondant! And Ferrero Rocher® chocolates since the birthday girl likes those :) 


Front view! 


And back view! :) Had a little too much fun with my silver and black sprays... they came out a lot faster than I expected, but I think it still looks pretty good :) 

So did you guess what it was? 
A birthday armadillo! :D 
It was fun, time consuming and exhausting - but I like how it came out :) 

Until next time! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EPIC KIRBY CAKE!!

Easter Sunday Cupcakes

Lifting Cakes