The Big 30!

We celebrated my big brother's 30th birthday yesterday and, as the most amazing little sister ever, I wanted to bake something for him! And knowing that he isn't too big a fan of desserts, beside a select few, and he's a big fan of turtles, I decided on tiramisu turtles. 

The plan had started out was to make a tiramisu cake into a turtle and put little turtles all over it. Then I thought that it would be cool to make 30 turtles, one for each year that Dave (my brother) has been alive! Then it would be even cooler if I numbered all the turtles so you knew there are 30 of them! 

So let the adventure begin! 


The above photo is my 24 mini cupcake pan filled with baked yellow cake. I took a toothpick and stabby stabbed them. Then poured on a medium roasted coffee mixed a bit with cinnabon creamer for a bit of sweetness. 


Here are the larger cupcakes done the same way, and I forgot to take a picture of the rest, but I made some more normal size cupcakes. 


The center tiramisu cake... not that exciting. Although this one is a more legit tiramisu since it has lady fingers on the bottom and made with amaretto and awesomeness.


So this was my first attempt at making a whipped topping with mascarpone cheese, heavy whipped cream and powdered sugar. Sadly, I failed and this was all trashed. I don't think I whipped the cream enough...


Since mascarpone cheese is somewhat expensive, I made this substitute with cream cream and sour cream instead of the cheese :) It tasted very yummy! Colored it green for the turtles. 


Here are the 24 mini cupcakes, taken out, flipped upside down, covered in the green frosting, chocolate chips as their feet and an m&m as their heads. No tails, because I didn't know what to use! And I was running out of time! 



I trimmed down the cake tin of the tiramisu cake and assembled the big turtle. It's all squished together like this because I had covered it with a big foil pan... 

All in all, I'm happy with how this came out since I had a limit of 3 hours and was pretty much rushing out the door when the last cupcake was frosted... oh yeah, by the way...

Happy Birthday, Dave!

I hope the cake and cupcakes are tasty (I didn't get to try any before we had to leave to meet up with you...) 

Special thanks for my husband, Jimmy, for helping me frost everything! And refraining from eating all the frosting.... 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EPIC KIRBY CAKE!!

Easter Sunday Cupcakes

Lifting Cakes